Next Session: April 27 – 29
The Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) designation program teaches the technical, business management and customer service skills essential to competing in the fastest growing segment of the residential remodeling industry - home modifications for aging in place.
NAHB Remodelers - in collaboration with the AARP, Home Innovation Research Labs and NAHB 50+ Housing Council - developed this program to provide comprehensive, practical, market-specific information about working with older and maturing adults to remodel their homes for aging in place.
All classes are held from 8 am to 4pm at The Design Institute of San Diego, 8555 Commerce Ave, San Diego 92121.
To be certified, you must take all three courses. Register for the three-day session above that works for you or individual classes below. For questions, call 800-984-1186.
Business Management for Building Professionals
Learn the management skills that give industry leaders the edge. This course will give you a solid foundation for managing small to medium size building/remodeling and service companies. This course explains critical elements from planning to evaluating progress and presents practical tips and tools for managing a business successfully. You’ll get a solid grasp of business best practices and practical tools of value whether you are a new or experienced business owner. As a graduate of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify common business challenges and ways to overcome them.
- Describe the three basic functional areas of a business.
- Describe how to plan effectively for achieving business success. •Describe the organization and processes that a company needs to have in place to run efficiently.
- Identify methods for recruiting, interviewing, training and retaining quality personnel.
- Identify performance tools to help you achieve success.
- Identify methods for evaluating your progress.
Registration for Course 1: Business Management
Marketing & Communication Strategies for Aging & Accessibility (CAPS I)
Millions of Americans are living longer and more active lives. And with their changing lifestyles, maturing Americans are also looking to revitalize their home environments. Identifying these opportunities and developing the skills to interact with 50+ customers can help you grow your business dramatically. Learn best practices in communicating and interacting with this exciting and evolving population, and take advantage of one of the fastest growing market segments in remodeling and related industries. As a graduate of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the three segments within the Aging in Place market that present business opportunities for building professionals.
- Implement a process for promoting new opportunities for products and services in the Aging in Place market.
- Enhance your sales process with effective techniques for the Aging in Place market.
Registration for Course 2: CAPS I
Design/Build Solutions for Aging & Accessibility (CAPS II)
The maturing of the U.S. Baby Boomer population is a huge opportunity for remodelers. As this consumer group expands, more and more are interested in remodeling their home to fit their new lifestyle and abilities. This Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) course will help you understand the guidelines and requirements of accessibility, the importance of doing an assessment with input from occupational and physical therapists as well as qualified health care professionals, and the significance of good design in making modifications that can transform a house into a safe, attractive, and comfortable home for life. As a graduate of this course, you'll be able to:
- Describe the home ownership market as it relates to the three segments of the Aging in Place market
- Consider contractual and legal concerns for building professionals providing design solutions to the Aging in Place client
- Perform a needs assessment to identify and prioritize the needs, wants and wishes of the Aging in Place client
- Recommend specific design solutions for the Aging in Place client
- Estimate and schedule the Aging in Place project while regarding special considerations
- Identify considerations for executing the job while the client is in residence
Registration for Course 3: CAPS II
Testimonials from Students
Fritzi believes in what she teaches and shares that passion with the students.
Great class! Learned more than I thought I would!
Fritzi was articulate and knowledgeable with good classroom control. All students felt engaged in the class during both presentation and hands-on activities.
Experienced, informative, succinct, helpful, approachable, talented, engaging instructor.